What happens to your bottom line if your employees are not healthy? How important is your health in the workplace? And how is productivity impacted because of poor workforce management? These are some of the questions we answer today as we focus on “The Importance Of Executive Wellness And Holistic Wellness Strategies In The Workplace”. Our in studio, expert guests include Betsie Gouws – Regional Product Manager at Virgin Active, Michelle Israel – Promotions Manager for Evox Nutrition, and John Jutzen – Founder and Managing Director at Kaelo Consulting.
Healthy people; healthy profits
With 15 million people employed in South Africa, the health and wellbeing of the country’s workforce is more important than ever before. Employers have a unique opportunity to improve the lives of their employees, and indirectly the families who depend on them, by measuring and managing their health. Since people spend a great deal of their lives at work, and work significantly impacts stress and lifestyle, employers can positively influence their staff’s ability to make healthy choices with a focus on the fourth bottom line: human capital.
To help companies with this, Discovery Vitality has launched the Discovery Healthy Company Index. Now in its third year, the Index is a means of benchmarking a company’s health and wellness priorities against the survey average, and giving insights into how additional wellness initiatives can deliver even more impact.
Insights from the previous Healthy Company Index
- 92% of employees have a Vitality Age higher than their actual age. On average, employees have a Vitality Age that is 6.4 years older than their actual age
- Employees with a Vitality Age higher than their actual age had 27% more visits to the doctor, 55% more days in hospital and lost 72% more days due to illness or injury than those with a Vitality Age lower than their actual age.
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol are the most prevalent chronic conditions of lifestyle among employees.
- 68% of employees do not meet physical activity guidelines.
- 53% of employees did not have all their preventive health checks.
- 50% of employees have 5 or more risk factors outside of healthy range.
Listen now to hear what our guests were able to add to this list.
In this show you will learn:
- What Corporate Wellness programmes seek to accomplish
- Why healthy eating and going to gym is just one aspect of what it means to be healthy
- Where health trends this year are expected to be headed
- How to improve your organisations effectiveness
- and much, much more.
Our guests and experts in the CliffCentral studio this week:
- Betsie Gouws – Regional Product Manager at Virgin Active
- Michelle Israel – Promotions Manager for Evox Nutrition
- John Jutzen – Founder and Managing Director at Kaelo Consulting.
Thanks for listening!
Thank you for listening to the show! If you found anything we shared of value to you, then it will surely be of value to your friends as well, so please share using the share options below.
Please also feel free to comment, leave questions, or give us feedback below.